Speed Dials in Vivaldi allow you to quickly access your favourite websites from the Start Page. You can customise the Bookmarks included in your Speed Dial, or add custom Speed Dials and folders to organise your content.
Add bookmarks to the Speed Dial
- Click the big + button on the Start Page.
- Type a website address, or choose one from the suggestions in the bottom panel.
Delete a Speed Dial bookmark
Hover briefly on the bookmark thumbnail, then click on the - in the upper right corner to delete the bookmark from your Speed Dial.
Alternatively, delete the bookmark from the Speed Dial folder in the Bookmarks Panel or Manager.
Set any bookmark as a Speed Dial
To display an existing bookmark on the Start Page, copy or move the bookmark to the Speed Dial bookmark folder in the Bookmarks Panel or Manager.
Organise your Speed Dials using folders
Click the + button as if you were adding a new Bookmark to your Speed Dial, then click the New Folder button.
Open the Bookmark Panel or Manager to move a Speed Dial from one folder to another.
Create a new Speed Dial
Tip: Any existing bookmark folder can be set as a Speed Dial. Select any bookmark folder in Bookmarks Panel or Manager and check the Speed Dial option in folder information.
Upload a custom thumbnail to a Speed Dial or Speed Dial folder
- Hover over the Speed Dial thumbnail and click on the + to select a custom image.
Alternatively, right-click a Speed Dial icon or a Speed Dial folder and choose Select Custom Speed Dial Thumbnail option from the context menu.
- Select an image to replace the thumbnail.
The recommended image size is 440×360 px and most image formats are supported, including animated GIFs.
Note: Vivaldi only stores a reference to an image that is stored locally on your computer. This means that should you either move or delete the image, Vivaldi will no longer have access to it and it will disappear from you Speed Dial. Make sure to store custom speed dial images in a folder that will not be deleted. To remove a thumbnail image from the Speed Dial, right click on the Speed Dial and select Clear Custom Thumbnail.
Change the background of the Speed Dial page
- Go to Settings > Start Page.
- Tick the Show Background Image box.
- Choose between the preset backgrounds or add your own background image. To use your own, select the last option, Custom, and then click on Change, to pick a file.
[Windows 8 and above only] Your desktop wallpaper will appear in your Start Page settings by default, from where you can select to use it as your Start Page background image. Another way to change the background is to right-click your desktop background image and select Use current desktop background picture as Start Page background image from the context menu.
Other Speed Dial Settings
In Settings > Start Page, you can adjust other aspects of Speed Dial behaviour such as:
- Toggle display of Speed Dial titles to always show, never show or only show when needed.
- Show/Hide the Add button to free up screen real estate.
- Change the maximum number of columns that display. The Maximum Columns setting allows you to set the amount columns of thumbnails to be shown per Speed Dial. Select None to let the thumbnails fill in all available space.
- Change the Speed Dial thumbnail size. You can pick from 5 different sizes.
- Enable/Disable the option to reorder Speed Dials by Drag and Drop.
In case you prefer to access your bookmarks using other options available in the browser and don’t plan on using the Speed Dial, you can change your Homepage, New Tab Page and Startup settings to “disable” the Speed Dial.
To change the Homepage:
- Go to Settings > General > Homepage;
- Set a specific website as your homepage.
To change the New Tab page:
- Go to Settings > Tabs > New Tab Page;
- Instead of Start Page, select either:
- Blank Page, or
- Specific Page.
In case you’ve also set the browser to open with the Start Page and want to change it:
- Go to Settings > General > Startup with;
- Instead of Start Page, select either:
- Last Session,
- Specific Pages.