Changing the interface of Vivaldi with Themes
Go to Settings > Themes to:
- Select one of the predefined themes;
- Edit a predefined theme by selecting a theme and then clicking the Edit Theme button, or
- Create your own theme by clicking the Add Theme button.
If you clicked the Edit Theme or Add Theme button, a theme editor will appear.
- Use the colour picker or input a hex colour code to change the Background, Foreground, Highlight and Accent colours.
- You can also decide whether the accent colour is the one you chose or it changes to match the website you’re on.
- Enabling ‘Apply Accent Colour to Window‘ will use the accent colour on the Tab Bar and horizontal menu (available on Windows and Linux). If disabled, the accent colour will show on the Address Bar and active tab.
- In addition, the background of tabs can be nontransparent or transparent.
- Last but not least, corner rounding allows for another level of personalisation.
Private Window Theme
- Go to Settings > Themes > Private Window Theme;
- Select a theme from the drop down menu.
Scheduling browser Themes
With theme scheduling you can set your favourite themes to be enabled during specified times throughout the day. For example, enabling a light theme during daylight hours, and switching to a darker theme in the evening.
- Go to Settings > Themes;
- Enable Scheduled Themes by ticking the box for Schedule Theme to Change ;
- Drag the sliders to adjust theme change times;
- Click on a time slot to open a drop down menu and choose which theme you want to use;
- Click on and buttons to add/remove theme changing times.
Matching the OS theme
You can also make your browser’s theme match the light or dark theme of your operating system. In Settings > Themes > Scheduled Themes, select Use Operating System Theme and assign any pre-installed or custom theme for both the light and dark mode.
Window Background Image
In addition to editing the colour schemes of the user interface, you can make the browser even more personal by adding an image to the Tab Bar.
To enable and edit this option go to Settings > Appearance > Window Background Image and check the box for Show Window Background Image.
You can also select whether the image is scaled to fit or repeated. The latter is a good option for seamless patterns.
In addition, you can decide whether the image is blended together with the Window Accent Colour or not.
Dark mode for web pages
If you prefer dark themes and want the web page content to match, first look through the website settings as the site may already offer a dark mode option. If there’s no dark mode available, you can use an Extension to switch web page colours.
IMPORTANT Using extensions may alter the website’s functionality or break it altogether. Disable or remove the extension when you notice that websites are no longer behaving as expected.