The main side Panel of Vivaldi gives you quick access to a number of important tools in Vivaldi, including: Bookmarks, Downloads, Notes, History, Window Panel and Web Panels. Clicking on any of these tools will expand the side bar and allow you to view and interact with them in a split screen with your main browser window.
By default Panels are located on the left side of any of your Vivaldi windows. To expand and display them, click the Show Panel button on the left side of the Status Bar. This can also be done using the default Keyboard Shortcut F4 / ⌥⌘ P.
Customising the Panel
To customise the Panel, navigate to Settings > Panel. Here you can change settings such as:
- Panel Position. Choose to have the Panel display on the left or right side of the browser window. For example, the screenshot below shows a Panel displayed on the right side of the window.
- Show/Hide Panel Toggle to allow the small toggle on the side of the window to display (or not).
- Notes Panel behaviour. Choose whether or not to open the Panel automatically when creating a new Note, or automatically fetch a screenshot of the current page.
- Window Panel options. Decide whether to activate tabs with a single click, whether Pinned Tabs are in a separate folder or listed as other tabs and how to create Tab Stacks.
- Web Panel notifications. Enable/disable notifications, such as unread messages.
The Floating Panel option allows the panels to overlay the open website. By default, opening and closing panels will resize the website to make space for the panel.
To enable the Floating Panel go to Settings > Panel > Panel Options.
Alternatively, Ctrl / ⌘ + click on the Panel toggle button in the bottom left corner of the browser window to quickly enable/disable floating panels.
In addition, you can enable Auto-close Floating panel. With this switched on, the panel will close when the mouse is moved away from the panel area.
Some panels need more space than others. To have panels with separate width:
- Right click on the panel button,
- select Separate Width, and
- drag the panel to preferred size.
To change the order of panels, hold down the Shift key and drag the panel to the new location. The same can be done with Web Panels, but they will all have to be below browser panels.