The Vivaldi browser lets you search the web any way you like. Here’s how.
- Search in the Address Field
- Search Field
- Searching in a New Tab
- Available Search Engines
- Switching Between Search Engines
- Search Engine Nicknames
- Adding a New Search Engine
Search in the Address Field
- Go to Settings / Preferences > Search and make sure Show Search Field in Address Bar box is checked.
- Type the search term in the Address Field and press Enter.
- Vivaldi will display the search results using the default search engine.
You can also search the web using the Search Field in the Address Bar.
- Go to Settings / Preferences > Search and make sure the Show Search Field in Address Bar box is checked.
- Type the search term in the Search Field in the Address Bar.
Searching in a New Tab
You can have your search results open in a new tab, instead of the current one. This feature could be particularly useful if you’re doing research or need to look up multiple search terms at once.
- Go to Settings / Preferences > Search and check the Always Search in New Tab box.
- Type the search term in the Address Field or in the Search Field and press ALT+Enter.
- Vivaldi will open a new tab and display search results there.
Available Search Engines
Vivaldi has several search engines available by default.
- Bing – for searching the web via Microsoft Bing.
- Yahoo – for searching the web via Yahoo.
- StartPage – a private way to search Google.
- DuckDuckGo – a search engine that doesn’t track users.
- Ecosia – a search engine that plants trees.
- Wikipedia – for searching the Wikipedia free online encyclopedia
- Google – for searching the web via Google.
You can set any of these search engines as your default by checking the box for Set as Default Search Engine after selecting one of them. You can also reorder search engines by dragging them or using the up and down arrows.
Local versions may include local search engines not listed in this article.
Switching Between Search Engines
- Click the magnifying glass button in the Search Field.
- Select a search engine you would like to use from the drop-down menu.
Search Engine Nicknames
Using Search Engine Nicknames, you can quickly switch between one search engine to another just by typing the nickname at the front of your search term.
- Get to know the default search engine nicknames in Settings / Preferences > Search.
- Start the search with the search engine nickname, followed by Space. For instance, the search term “s vivaldi browser” will search for “Vivaldi browser” via StartPage.
You can change the default search engine nickname to anything you like.
- Click on the search engine you would like to assign a new nickname to.
- Enter the new nickname in the nickname field.
Adding a New Search Engine
Vivaldi lets you add your preferred search engines in a few simple steps.
- Go to Settings / Preferences > Search.
- Under Search Engines, click on the + icon (Add Search Engine) to add a new search engine.
- Enter the new search engine URL, Description (name) and Nickname.
- Click Save.
You can also add a new search engine by right-clicking the search input field of any website and choosing Add as Search Engine from the drop-down menu.