The Address Bar is one of the most important and frequently used elements in your browser. Continue reading to learn more about:
- What’s on the Address Bar
- Address Bar location
- Showing and hiding the Address Bar
- Customizing the Address Bar
What’s on the Address Bar?
History back and forward
- “Long-click” or right-click on either of the history navigation buttons to bring up the sub-menu, then Shift or Ctrl + click or middle mouse button click on an entry to open it in a new tab.
Reload / Stop loading current page
- Use the Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl/⌘ + L to focus on the address field. Enable/disable searching in the address field in Settings > Search.
- Ctrl / ⌘ + Click on the URL to cut the link at the point you clicked and go to that page. For example, when you click on the word “blog” in https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/vivaldi-2-6-rc-2-vivaldi-browser-snapshot-1566-35/, you’ll be taken to https://vivaldi.com/blog/.
- After typing a search term or a URL press Enter or click on the button in front of the Address Field to open the search results or link.
- You can tell from the icon on the left side of the Address Field whether a site is Secure (padlock icon) or Not secure (globe icon).
- Clicking on the icon will open a menu with additional site settings for Cookies, Notifications, Certificates, etc.
- Start dragging from the Site Info button to your desktop or file folder, to create a webpage shortcut.
- View recently used search terms and typed links. During a search, the drop-down will show related results from Frequently Visited Pages, Typed History, Bookmarks, and History. Availability and displayed categories can be changed in Settings > Address Bar > Address Field Drop-Down Menu.
Add active page to Bookmarks
- Click on the magnifying glass to switch the search engine. Click on the arrow on the right to view search history.
Address Bar location
You can choose to display the Address Bar at the top or bottom of the browser window. You can select this in Settings > Address Bar > Address Bar Position.
Show / Hide Address Bar
Customize the Address Bar
All buttons on the Address Bar can be removed by right-clicking on the button > Customize > Remove From Toolbar. To hide the Search field go to Settings > Search and uncheck the box for Show Search Field in Address Bar.
To reset the changes right-click on a button > Customize > Reset Toolbar to Default. In case you’ve removed all of the buttons, go to Settings > Appearance > Window Appearance > Toolbar Customization > Reset Navigation Toolbar.