The Address Bar is one of the most important and frequently used elements in your browser. Continue reading to learn more about:
- What’s on the Address Bar
- Address Bar location
- Showing and hiding the Address Bar
- Customising the Address Bar
What’s on the Address Bar?
History back and forward
“Long-click” or right-click on either of the history navigation buttons to bring up the sub-menu, then Shift or Ctrl + click or middle mouse button click on an entry to open it in a new tab.
Learn more about History on the Help Page about Vivaldi’s History feature.
Fast Forward and Rewind
Jump back or forward several pages at a time.
Learn more about the feature on the Help Page about Fast Forward and Rewind.
Reload / Stop loading current page
To reload the same webpage you’re on:
- click on the Reload current page button on the Address Bar;
- use the Keyboard Shortcuts F5 or Ctrl R / ⌘ R;
- use a Mouse Gesture for Reload Page – while holding down the right mouse button drag the mouse up and down; or
- Type “Reload Page” in Quick Commands.
To stop a page from finishing loading:
- click on the Stop button on the Address Bar;
- use the Keyboard Shortcut Esc;
- use a Mouse Gesture for Stop Loading – while holding down the right mouse button drag the mouse up; or
- Type “Stop loading” in Quick Commands.
- Use the Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl/⌘ + L to focus on the address field.
- After typing a search term or a URL press Enter or click on the button in front of the Address Field to open the search results or link.
- Enable/disable searching in the address field in Settings > Search.
- To enable/disable auto-complete go to Settings > Address Bar > Address Auto-Complete and tick the box. You can give auto-complete priority to Bookmarks, by ticking the box Always Prefer Bookmarks.
- Ctrl / ⌘ + Click on the URL to cut the link at the point you clicked and go to that page. For example, when you click on the word “blog” in https://vivaldi.com/blog/address-field-drop-down-guide/, you’ll be taken to https://vivaldi.com/blog/.
Content Blocker settings
Click on Content Blocker to change Tracking and Ad Blocking level per site. Also, when enabled, see how many trackers and ads have been blocked.
You can tell from the icon on the left side of the Address Field whether a site is Secure , not secure or even dangerous .
Start dragging from the Site Info button to your desktop or file folder, to create a webpage shortcut.
View recently used search terms and typed links. During a search, the drop-down will show related results from Frequently Visited Pages, Typed History, Bookmarks, and History. Availability and displayed categories can be changed in Settings > Address Bar > Address Field Drop-Down Menu.
To concentrate on the main content of the web page and hide all distractions, switch to reader mode.
Learn more about the feature on the Help Page about Reader View.
Add active page to Bookmarks
Add web pages to bookmarks to find them easily later.
Learn more about the feature on the Help Page about Bookmarks.
Click on the magnifying glass to switch the search engine. Click on the arrow on the right to view search history.
Learn more about the feature on the Help Page about Search.
Vivaldi has countless features which make the use of many extensions redundant. But there are still a ton of extensions which can take browsing to another level.
Learn more about the feature on the Help Page about Extensions.
Address Bar location
You can decide whether to display the Address Bar at the top or bottom of the browser window. Make the choice in Settings > Address Bar > Address Bar Position.
Show / Hide Address Bar
To toggle the visibility of the Address Bar, either:
- Go to Settings > Address Bar and (un)tick the box Show Address Bar;
- Type “Address Bar” in Quick Commands;
- Set a Keyboard Shortcut or Mouse gesture for the action.
Customise the Address Bar
All buttons on the Address Bar can be removed by right-clicking on the button > Customise > Remove From Toolbar. To hide the Search field go to Settings > Search and uncheck the box for Show Search Field in Address Bar.
To reset the changes right-click on a button > Customise > Reset Toolbar to Default. In case you’ve removed all of the buttons, go to Settings > Appearance > Window Appearance > Toolbar Customisation > Reset Address Bar.