Troubleshoot Sync issues
Can’t log in to Sync?
If you’ve forgotten the encryption password, you can try the login password you used at the time you first started using Sync. When the Sync feature was first introduced, it was possible to skip entering a separate encryption password, in which case your login password was set as the encryption password. Please note that changing the login password will not change the encryption password.
If you’ve forgotten your encryption password or want to change it:
- Open Sync Settings;
- Log into your Vivaldi account;
- Click on I Lost My Password;
- In the pop up, click Clear Sync Data;
- Then Start Sync again and enter a new password.
Your data will be deleted from Vivaldi’s Sync servers and re-uploaded from the device you’re using once you enter a new password.
In case the synced data isn’t stored locally on any devices (e.g. after a OS reset), the synced data will unfortunately be lost when resetting the encryption password. Sync is first and foremost intended to be used as a feature to synchronize data across multiple devices, not as a backup service. Though, in most cases, as long as you remember the encryption password, Sync works as a backup as well. But even then, we can’t guarantee that the data from the servers will always be available.
Having trouble syncing your data?
If you’ve entered your credentials and hit Start Sync but the browser is not able to connect, the browser will continually attempt to connect to Vivaldi’s sync servers.
Often logging out of the account and in again helps.
If Sync has not been able to establish a connection for more than 6 hours, please submit a bug report with the following info:
- username of the account you tried to sync,
- error message shown (if any),
- a screenshot of vivaldi://sync-internals and the Sync settings page on vivaldi://settings/sync/ can help; (you can use Vivaldi’s Screen Capture Tool to take the screenshot).
Alternatively, click on Dump Status on vivaldi://sync-internals and send us the content that appears in a small box below the button.
- time when it happened,
- detailed steps to reproduce the issue (basically where did sync fail?).
Remote sessions don’t show up on synced computers?
This could happen, for example, when you’ve manually copied the profile from one Vivaldi to another and then use Sync.
To fix it:
- Open vivaldi://about and follow the Profile Path to the Default folder.
- Close the browser.
- Open the Preferences file.
- Search for cache_guid and session_sync_guid and change a letter in these GUIDs. Don’t change the
==symbols at the end.
- Save the file and restart the browser.
If Remote Sessions still aren’t accessible, submit a bug report as instructed above.